I know I haven't posted FOREVER... but I had to post this story so I don't forget it. The other night I got off the phone and Bodell is smiling at me. She starts (in the sweetest voice.) "Mom, well... we were wondering... if we could open our Christmas presents tonight." Of course I immediatley respond, "Absolutely not!" Then Shae jumped in, "we want to open all the Christmas presents under the tree." All the presents under our tree are the presents that the kids have given to each other. Shae continues, "we bought them ourselves so we have the right to decide when they are opened." Hmmm, I must admit she had a pretty good point there. So they can tell I am starting to falter. They started to really push the "PLEASE MOM!!!!" So I decided that I needed some reinforcement. I tell them to call their dad who was driving home from work at the time. They tried calling him, but he was out of cell phone coverage. So they continue to beg and I can tell the excitement is building. So, I say why don't we call Heather and ask for her opinion. I knew that Heather would get a kick out of the situation. (Heather is my sister- who by the way ALWAYS opens her presents early. She even had a mini Christmas when she was here for Thanksgiving, because she wanted to give her presents to my parents.) The kids got excited about this idea. Shae said, "Yeah, ask Heather she is nice." So I dial Heather. Shae immediately rips the phone out of my hands and starts telling heather what they want to do. Heather, to their surprise says she doesn't think they should. Shae got mad at her because she opened some of her presents two weeks ago. I talked to Heather and she tells me she doesn't think the kids should open any presents because, "being tortured by presents is part of Christmas." I hung up the phone and the kids were mad at Heather. I think they thought that she betrayed them. Then Josh walked in the door and the kids start an all out assault of pleases on him. Even Andrew got in on the action. He started following Josh around the house saying, "please dad." Even though he had no idea why he was saying please. Finally we caved. We decided to let them open ONE present. The excitement was more than we all could handle. I must admit watching them open that one present got me pretty excited for Christmas morning. They are going to be fun! I had to laugh at the kids response after opening presents. They said, "next time when we want something we are asking Dad not Heather!"
1 comment:
That is HILARIOUS, Andrea! I must admit, while growing up, my idea of Christmas was seeing how many presents I could "open" before Christmas without ANYONE knowing. I became somewhat of a MASTER of opening and re-taping presents...one would NEVER know I even opened them! So, as my children become older I keep wondering if I should PASS ON my secrets or if I should let them figure it out....hummmmm....not sure on that one! :) I SO love this time of year...and I especially love to hear about everyone's traditions and family happenings...thanks for sharing!!!
Post a Comment